Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekend Away

This weekend we went on a small getaway up to the Sierra Foothills.  As we were walking on this path Eli stopped and noticed these little trees growing opposite of the large trees.  He stopped in his tracks, "Look at these baby trees.  They came from these trees (large ones on the other side of the path) and they are growing here because people don;t walk on them."  His delight in this discovery made me think of an essay by Barbara Kingsolver.  I am reading her book of essays titled High Tide in Tucson.  This essay is called, "The Memory Place".  She is writing about exploring the country in Kentucky as a child.  Eli's gasp and stop in his tracks made me think of this part.  "I can't imagine that any discovery I ever make, in the rest of my life, will give me the same electric thrill I felt when I first found little righteous Jack in his crimson-curtained pulpit poking up from the base of a rotted log."
I love that.  That's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment