Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Salty Sweetness



Happy Valentine's Day!  Eli exchanged valentines at school and made some for everybody in his class.  Emily made some for a select few.  We had all day daycare yesterday and I painted some more hearts to adorn our door.  It was a rainy day and I got to do my own project in between snacks and stories.  If you can't beat em join em.

Today Eli was really excited to make a batch of sugar cookies for dessert.  He insisted on making them himself and wanted no help.  He got out all the ingredients and mixed, stirred and measured himself.   I glanced at the batter and told him it might be good to stir in the clumps of butter.  To no avail.  We just had to make sure we didn't step on the cookie sheet on the floor.

We don't have a working mixer so everything is mixed by hand which takes a bit of work.  When he started to roll it out, it looked quite sticky.  I suggested he might want to chill it.  When I came back into the kitchen it was sitting on the counter with a towel over it.  Like brother like brother.  But this wasn't bread so I reiterated "chill" and carefully put it in the refrigerator.

Then he proudly rolled the cookies out and decorated them with sprinkles before they went in the oven.  When he had his beautiful plate arranged I poured the chamomile tea.  He took a bite of a cookie.  "Huh, these cookies are a little salty."  I took a bite.  "Huh, they sure are."  Then he looked on the counter where he made them.  Sitting next to the bowl was a 1/4 cup measuring cup sparkling with grains of salt.  "Ahhhhh.  The recipe said a 1/4 teaspoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment