Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fourteen


Yummy cake from our favorite local bakery.  I must say this is about the fanciest of this kind that I've seen.  Extra frosting embellishments.  Also, an added pink, silk ribbon around the outside. 
Cards from her brothers.

For some reason I often find my self late at night the night before Emily's birthday looking for something to adorn the middle of the table with.  Something girly that she's had for a while.  Maybe that was a present or had belonged to one grandma or another.  Something sweet and pink.  Something that reminds me of when she was about the age she is in the pictures below. 

Hard to believe that four year old is fourteen.  Seems like I blinked and there she was.  Standing in front of me with her hair slightly curled and her tight skirt on.  Standing in front of me with her layered tank top and new white cardigan on.  Standing in front of me in her skinny jeans.  Standing in front of me with her snow white canvas Vans on.  Standing in front of me challenging every decision I make.  Standing in front of me desperately asking for me to be there for her while she yells at me to go away.

Isn't there some book titled something like that.  "Go away, but first can you take me to the mall".  Fourteen!  Wow!  She likes to remind me that she can drive in two years.  I remind her that she has to keep her grades up for it  will effect her placement in high school.  I cheer for her cheer to keep her busy and fit.  To find her passion. She is navigating her path and I'm trying to steer the boat.  At 14 she is bold, fierce, smart, stylish, trendy, cosmopolitan, funny, tenacious.  All those traits I want to embrace and yet am constantly bracing myself to not get bowled over by their strength.  To come up ready to weather the storm and smile with her.

Happy Birthday Dear Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment