Monday, December 17, 2012

New Stocking

Even though she's 14 it was time for a new stocking.  I had designed this stocking since about last January but of course only started working on it in November.  Still it was a mad dash to get it done.  See all those sequins and beads?  I sewed them all on myself.  It was really very meditative.

Originally I had designed a stocking with cotton fabrics and buttons.  It was going to be red and white with some cute prints that would be on the heel.  When I told her about making a new stocking she said she wanted it sparkly.  That led me in a different direction.  Forget the practical buttons and cute cotton prints.  Sparkly sequins and beads right?  What else.  So instead of big, large buttons I sewed tiny beads on white sequins.  Together that created a sparkly, glittery snowfield.  That's what it depicts to me.  A snowfield under a full moon with a princess twirling on the frozen pond next to it.  Stitching together each bead and sequin to create the whole dream.  Twirling and twirling.   

No comments:

Post a Comment